Living in Norway

I have been thinking lately in how much the place you were born and raised at has an impact on which superpowers you would choose to have. I mean... I was born and raised in Brasil, middle class family, had everything I needed, warm weather, nature, beach, good food... So I think I could say I didn't have to face many challenges or adversities when growing up. And every time someone would ask me which superpower I would like to have I had an answer ready, I would like to be able to read minds. So, what I am thinking is, the lack of important things to worry about made me care (maybe too much) about what other people think. Now, I am not saying caring about other people's thoughts is something negative. I think it's important to worry about how other people think and feel in an empathetic way and have other people in mind when living together in the world. But the fuel for that desire I had was not of that kind. The way I cared about other people's minds is the same way many people limit themselves, afraid of what others may think of them. The base of my worry was insecurity and fear of not being understood or accepted and in that case I think caring about what people are thinking is something negative. Then those days I was wondering, if I had been born and raised in Norway I believe I would wish for a different type of superpower. I have been desiring this other superpower lately when walking around the streets. Being a person that needs to face the daily Norwegian challenges of cold and ice I wish I had warmth releasing feet. Yes, people! The struggle in real. I fell twice this winter, and it's been the least I fell while living in Oslo. Everyday I get reminded how life is hard the second I step outside my building door. My walk to work used to take 15 minutes and now I take half an hour to get there, if I don't fall. I believe my bone and muscle structures were not developed in the best way to walk on ice as I feel I am using my feet in a very weird manner when I drag myself at a slug speed. If I had my wonderful superpower I would step anywhere and instantaneously melt the ice and I would be safe from all harm.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas